Handy is a mobile application that links home cleaners with dirty homes for reasonable prices. Independent home cleaners are usually never able to afford advertisements because they work by themselves as advertising would require a significant chunk of revenues for even local commercials.

The application primarily lists home cleaners, but there are some home improvement professionals listed on Handy as well. Money raised by home cleaning professionals accounts to approximately 85% of total revenue share, with the remaining 15% spread across plumbers, carpenters, and designers.

Handy has plans to expand its range in 2016 after receiving the latest round of funding in 2015 Q3, led primarily by Highland Capital Management. Currently, Handy is available in 25 cities around the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. More than one million jobs were booked and completed as of 2015, an important milestone for the business.

Less than three percent of those who apply to Handy end up on the application’s listings. Founders Oisin Hanrahan and Umang Dua have jokingly acknowledged the application’s resemblance to Harvard College, their alma mater, because of its acceptance rate. One of the main reasons why cleaners on Handy are touted to be of such high quality on average is because the application process.

Handy is free to download and use for both homeowners and home cleaning professionals. Only when a job is booked does it cost users money, at approximately a 20% fee based on revenues generated. Homeowners are also able to provide cleaners with tips using their electronic payment option through the app or in cash. Every homeowners’ cleaning experience will be different as sessions as custom-tailored for the jobs needed to be performed.

Many homeowners use Handy for tasks difficult to complete such as carpet steaming and stain removal, although full-service cleaning jobs are fairly priced.