About rocketship Education
In San Jose, California the very first rocketship school was opened in a church ten years ago. Rocketship has strived to make an impact on the communities they serve, but they are yet to be finished. Their work is still in progress. They are in the process of learning how to provide the best service for their students and community.
In the ten years they have been doing this they have learned quite a bit, some of them being:
They learned that personalized learning starts from the home. They learned the importance of understanding the needs and different interests in the students and their families. They do an annual home visit which gives them a better understanding of the student and their family.
- They learned that in order to change the system they must create more of a demand. They focus mainly on elementary school kids which is hard to let the children go in the 5th grade.
- They learned to honor the power of the parents. They built a parent leadership program because parents are an important part of the students life.
- Culturally responsive schools will not be created by integrating students but by teachers.
- They learned that actions actually do speak louder than words.
- They learned that meaningful inclusion benefits every child.
- They learned it’s important to never stop learning.
- They learned to define your mindset.
- They learned you won’t go far if you’re trying to go alone.
- Lastly, they learned the importance in being proud to be in a public school.
Rocketship schools have a mission to work together with the students, teachers, and parents to change the lives of low income communities across the country. They strive to better the lives of every rocketeer that they have the privilege in serving.